hurting heart

私が願うのは あなたとの絆だけ
色褪せない約束をこの胸に刻んで

2008年2月16日土曜日

Feeling left out

You know, reading all of my old friends and acquaintances moving on and getting nice jobs make me feel dejected.

Yea, I shouldn't really feel like this and instead take them as an example and work towards my degree which will be unique because it is first-press and is prolly coveted in the country (and not yet in other countries must I add), but I feel like I am comparable to all of my friends who's getting nice jobs or such, no disrespect to those who are TPing, but I'm still in limbo at UBD which is a "last resort" for anyone off an A-level, while everyone else took their honours abroad and finishing it with style.

Hopefully I'm taking my degree programme in 4 years (this is the last hurdle). Then what else? I'm bad at interviews, my CV is empty, my job opportunities with this "never before existed" degree (which is prolly not even 2nd-class at this rate) is gonna be very limited. I may even end up teaching, something I sworn I'll never do.

There was always this statement I read in all those "get rich" books that said schools don't teach you skills to actually be successful in life. Having lacked the social skills all my life I'm now confronted with the reality that people who have them can talk their way into a job like Faizal or Zair (not that I'm saying that they did it all just by talking), and someone like me will just get shoved into the locker. Or pavement.

You know the first time I felt this was at the dinner before my BSP Assessment Centre. Hj. Shah was talking to the assessors like some smooth operator while I was mute. Then one assessor talked to me and asked if anything was wrong. She reassured me that the assessment won't start until tomorrow, but of course I know she's lying - Shah blazed the assessment and got it while a staggering old me who had never repeatedly said prayers loudly in the middle of thinking but did that day, and citing explicitly of my mental exhaustion which was probably why I never got it, had only a participation card as a souvenir.

So, in the working world, attitude is important, especially in a high-earning, private-sector job (you only need a family friend for the gov'ts...). I'm born with the wrong attitude and I expect it to finally bite my ass when I'm done with academics and start applying it. Without that other essential skill.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

登録 コメントの投稿 [Atom]

<< ホーム